Geoff and Jo Crawford, of Crawford Farms near Whangarei, have been named 2022 Regional Supreme Winners in the Northland Ballance Farm Environment Awards.
Run by the New Zealand Farm Environment Trust, the awards champion sustainable farming and growing, with the Northland awards announced on 22 June.
A great deal of joy has gone into developing this suite of farms to their true potential as financially, environmentally, and socially sustainable dairy and beef farms. People are at the heart of this large-scale operation that encompasses three dairy farms and a 300ha beef unit. Dairy is the main pillar of the business, with the team milking 1,500 cows across 260ha. The farm’s well-fed cows and good-quality beef are a testament to good genetics and pasture management. Environmental sustainability is a cornerstone of the business, based on an approach that considers connections across the entire farm system. “Geoff and Jo have a true team approach to running this multi-faceted business. While they believe in the importance of always having goals to strive for, they are driven to focus on experience, not purely profit,” said the judges. “It’s a spectacular example of running a profitable, corporate-sized operation while being environmentally conscious.”
The Crawfords also won the following awards:
· Ballance Agri-Nutrients Soil Management Award
· DairyNZ Sustainability and Stewardship Award
· Hill Laboratories Agri-Science Award
· WaterForce Wise with Water Award
A field day will be held at Crawford Farms on Thursday 8 September.
OTHER NORTHLAND BALLANCE FARM ENVIRONMENT AWARD WINNERS 2022
· Bayleys People in Primary Sector Award: Julian McPike and Trevor & Joy Smyth, Oneriri Station
· Beef + Lamb New Zealand Livestock Farm Award: Julian McPike and Trevor and Joy Smyth, Oneriri Station
· Massey University Innovation Award: Geoff Mansell, Kotare Farm
· Norwood Agri-Business Management Award: Kim & Graham Gilkison, Dancing Petrel Vineyard & Winery
· Northland Regional Council Water Quality Enhancement Award: Julian McPike and Trevor & Joy Smyth, Oneriri Station
· Northland Emerging Business Award: Stuart Paterson & Melisa Jones, Tymana Farm